About The Forrest Gallery – Studio of Fine Photography
The Forrest Gallery - Forrest Studio of Photography was first established in 1972 in Virginia Beach, and has grown to be the largest independently owned photography organization in the Hampton Roads area. In addition, Forrest Studio is one of the largest and most well established firms in the state of Virginia.
The business was begun in 1972 by David Keith Forrest, initially photographing weddings. In 1977, he opened the first permanent location, offering a complete full service studio, after studying for several years with almost every top name photographer in the art of wedding and portrait photography.
In 1980, Mr. Forrest purchased a 3 acre piece of waterfront property in the heart of Virginia Beach. Originally occupying a 1940’s ranch house ‘back in the woods’, in 1989 he built the current facility, a 4,200 square foot studio with 2 camera rooms and state of the art production facilities. In 1998 Forrest became one of the first studios in the nation to begin using full digital imaging from capture to output He and his staff currently photograph about 250 portrait commissions annually.
In 1997, after 25 years as a professional photographic artist, Mr. Forrest became one of only a handful of photographic artists in Virginia, and an elite few in the nation, to be awarded the prestigious dual designation degree of “Master of Photography” and “Photographic Craftsman”, from the Professional Photographers of America (PPofA). This is the largest, and most well respected photographic organization in the world. This dual degree is the highest and most prestigious honor that the PP of A can bestow.
In addition to providing high quality photographic art to the general public, Mr. Forrest has been commissioned over the years to make the official portraits of a number of prominent individuals throughout the world. Some of these include:
- His Eminence, Cardinal Terence Cooke, the late Archbishop of New York.
- His Eminence, Cardinal Pio Laghi, ProPrefect emeritus for the Vatican Congregation for Catholic Education; and formerly Vatican Ambassador to the U.S.
- His Eminence, Cardinal Augustino Cacciavillan, ProPrefect emeritus of the Patrimony of the Apostolic See; and formerly Vatican Ambassador to the U.S.
- His Excellency, Archbishop Gabriel Montalvo, Apostolic Pro-Nuncio (Vatican Ambassador) to the United States.
- His Excellency, Archbishop Joseph Ryan, first archbishop of the U.S. Military Archdiocese, which encompasses U.S. Military from around the World.
- His Excellency, Archbishop Marcel LeFebvre, founder of the Society of St. Pius X.
- The Honorable Scot Rigell, retired congressman (2nd district-R)
- The Honorable Meyera Oberndorf, Mayor of Virginia Beach.
- The Honorable Bobby Dyer, Mayor of Virginia Beach.
- Pharrell Williams, internationally known recording star, and family.
- Benefactors and board members of Virginia Wesleyan University
There are other individuals and groups too numerous to list, particularly with the Hierarchy of various Churches. Mr. Forrest has been given many awards and honors for his photographic artistry, including first place awards many times, for group, individual, wedding, and child photography, from state and national photographic organizations, and has taught his style of photography to thousands of other professional photographers from around the country.